Charity shop sells designer bag made by irish designer philip treacy

by , 13 Jul 2012

On the news today a pensioner, John Richards from West Hampstead, London is reeling from the discovery that a bag he bought for just £20 in a charity shop is a rare designer piece estimated to be worth hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The pensioner bought the brown bag from Kingston branch of Oxfam.

Now ladies if you purchase a bag from a charity shop don't forget to look at the label, you never know it might be you next time.

Responses

add your response here

I remember Bernardo's and Oxfam back in Perth always had really good items. All the well-off folks used to give their "clear outs" to those charities. I bought some really nice items from them.
Cancer Research is another good one. I still have a lovely black velvet swingback coat which I bought there and always look for fleeces for husband's work clothes in CR. Hardly ever disapointed!

by save24, 13 Jul 2012

There are still bargains to be had in Oxfam and all the good charity shops. Someone at that Oxfam slipped up on their pricing though...!! Still, nice that the person who's gained out of it is a pensioner! :-)

by fruitcake, 14 Jul 2012

Yes, that is nice. I Wonder who donated it to the shop, they couldn't have known it's value surely!

by save24, 14 Jul 2012

You'd be surprised, save, Oxfam shops in the London area get all sorts of designer stuff donated to them by the wealthier people. We have an Oxfam Boutique in Bath that sells designer clothing.

Great, fruits. That;s the problem of living in a backwater - no rich people or at least very few :):)

by save24, 14 Jul 2012

Thing is, it's often the wealthy ones who buy the second hand stuff from Oxfam too... :-)

Didn't realise that fruits.... Very interesting ;)

by serena1, 14 Jul 2012
add a comment

I've been looking round charity shops this week for bowls for Mr S to put his cacti in as he wanted to put four or five in one bowl and we have found some beautiful ones. Whilst I was there I had a look round and it's amazing how many lovely bags there are for sale so cheap. I don't need any Mr S says as I can't get anymore in my wardrobe top. (He must have been having a snoop I think).

by Sabre, 14 Jul 2012

That's what you call getting a bargain indeed, Sabre!

Personally I've never been that lucky in charity shops etc. I remember Kylie Minogue wearing her famous gold sparkly hot pants and she bought them for 50p in Glasgow west end Byres Rd charity shop and they were auctioned for £1000s.

by serena1, 14 Jul 2012

Crikey! Hope she washed them first ! lol

by save24, 14 Jul 2012

Oh Save I didn't think about that.... Lol!!

by serena1, 14 Jul 2012

But I bet the person (probably male, probably gay!) who bought them afterwards in the auction didn't wash them... ;-)

What a thought fruity....

by serena1, 14 Jul 2012
add a comment
add your response here

Posts within the money.co.uk community represent the views, experiences and opinions of members and experts only. They should not be taken as financial advice and should not be followed without further research.

Get our free money saving newsletter
Join over 450,000 other subscribers who grab our expert money tips, unmissable money guides & hottest bargains each week in our special email...
Join Our Community

Get fast answers to your money questions, Expert insight, top tips & much more...